I Want to Go Back to the Island
After a brief shutdown to re-tool, we are back with vigor on Catalina’s Island. The all new 1660espn.com provides us with a better opportunity to serve you the reader/listener/rabid fan better. It’s what we do. So without further ado, here is a long overdue list.
1) Perry Jones III to the Thunder is only bad in one way. PJ3 makes less money being drafted at 26. Otherwise, it’s a steal for OKC and a perfect landing spot for Perry. A good kid from a strong family who will fit in well playing 3 hours away from home. Yes he has things he must work on (being more aggressive, raising his basketball I.Q.) but let’s be real. Would you rather wind up with a team that was just playing for the title or one that is rebuilding?
2) There’s a playoff in college football. Let me say that again, there is a playoff in college football. I am not by any means saying that it’s a perfect system, but it’s a start. And as a Florida State Seminole, I am now wishing this plan was always in effect. Why? Because Bobby Bowden and the boys finished in the Top 4 FIFTEEN (15) years in a row. That means they would have had 15 shots at a title. Oh well, que sera sera. The College Football powers that be may have actually managed to have a playoff and lose nothing of what makes us all angry. There will still be arguing, rage, and complaints. But now from 3-4 teams that have been left out instead of 1or 2. Plus they were still able to keep the bowl system, which is beneficial for many parties. Teams get to play an extra exhibition game, fans get an extra game, TV has something to put on, and bowl committees can still fill their coffers.
3) Festus Ezeli got drafted by the Warriors. The only other Festus I knew was on Gunsmoke. Ezeli is from Nigeria. Do they get Gunsmoke in Nigeria?
4) Does anyone else want to punch the knucklehead that started the glasses with no lenses trend? We the actually visually impaired are offended. Plus you look like idiots. The NBA is responsible for terrible trends constantly. This one needs to stop.
5) It’s been 15 years since Mike Tyson bit off Evander Holyfield’s ear. It doesn’t seem like that long. I remember it like it was yesterday. Such a strange night. And such a strange journey for Mike Tyson. Lost hundreds of millions of dollars, had various legal troubles, and thanks to the magic of Hollywood is somehow popular again. You can’t help but feel bad for a guy like Mike Tyson because he was clearly taken advantage of. And he never had someone to help him control the rage that he had. But I hope that now Mike Tyson can find some peace.
6) I will be going to see Ted this weekend. I will however pass on Magic Mike. Ladies, have at it. Glad that you finally have your Strip Tease.
7) Anybody watching the Euro? No. Me neither. If America isn’t in it, I don’t care.
8) Why are the Saints playing hardball with Drew Brees? I guess it was the 5 Super Bowls they won before he got there. What’s that you say? That never happened? Oh yeah, I’m sorry for a minute I had forgotten the shameful history of the Saints. Pay the man. It will be the 1st step of many that you can make to stop making mistakes. Plus this Bounty Gate thing is sheer madness. Why would you retract something you said before? Because you feel sorry for the punishment doled out? I’m sorry, but we used to be tougher in this country.
9) I learned more about Bigfoot this week than I ever thought I would. Listen to our Outdoor Report on July 5, 12, and 19. Weird, wild stuff kids. As skeptical as I am about EVERYTHING, I am surprised how much I actually believe in this possibility. Not 100% sold. But listen the next 3 weeks. It’s interesting.
10) You know what primate is underrated? The gibbon. Seriously. Look at these guys. I know, random thought. But why not?
That is all for now. Keep checking out the all new 1660espn.com!
Return to: Catalina's Island Blog